Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
– The perfect appetizer for your Italian Summer! –
- 6 or 7 ripe plum or cherry tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 Italian bread or baguette French bread
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Chop tomatoes, toss them with garlic, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper: Finely chop the tomatoes and place them in a medium bowl. Mix in the minced garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir in the thinly sliced basil and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, adding more to taste.
- Toast the bread slices:
- Toast the slices until lightly browned on both sides. Then cut a clove of garlic in half and rub over one side of the toast. Brush with olive oil
- Serve toasted bread with tomato mixture on the top, add a leaf of basil and open a bottle of wine with good company! 🙂